Preflighting refers to the process of checking and verifying all aspects of a print job are correct before releasing files to the printer. The following list doesn't necessarily check for everything for every type of job/application, but is a good guide for the majority of jobs.
- Is there 1/8" bleed on the outside edges of bleed areas? If sending a PDF, does the exported file include the bleed?
- Are all the font files stuffed/zipped and sent with the original files? If submitting a PDF, are all the fonts embedded?
- Are all images high-resolution?
- If sending original files, are all the images being submitted?
- Are the pages all sent as single sheets and arranged in order?
- Has all text been checked to ensure no text is cut off?
- Are my documents the size I am expecting the finished product to be, accounting for bleed?
- If my file will be enlarged or decreased in size, are they proportionate to the size that the finished product needs to be?
- Is the number of colors used correct? Spot colors? CMYK?